What Do I Do If My Ex Loses Their Job and My Kids No Longer Have Health Coverage?

What Do I Do If My Ex Loses Their Job and My Kids No Longer Have Health Coverage?

Dear Attorneys,

My ex-husband was carrying the health insurance for our kids, but he just lost his job due to the COVID-19 health crisis. He was informed that he will only have health insurance through the end of the month. What do I do?


No Coverage


Dear No Coverage,

That is incredibly stressful, and we are sorry to hear that! Luckily, most companies are allowing people to stay on insurance despite layoffs so your ex-husband should check with them first. If you are employed, you should contact your Human Resources department and see if you can add your children on your plan. There are some insurance companies that may allow it under a life change event, and other companies are making other exceptions due to the health crisis.

If you do not have coverage through your employer, you should see if you can file for HUSKY. However, along with this, you will likely need to think about contacting an attorney to file the appropriate motion in conjunction with these changes. Even though you can’t get into court now, you may be able to ask for retroactivity dating back to the date you filed.

Looking to make your modification easier, not harder?  More civilized and less stressful? Choose Wolf & Shore Law Group. Attorneys Kristen Wolf and Shari Shore are both tenacious enough to protect your best interest and compassionate enough to help get you through a difficult modification case. Ever argue with a woman? Let Wolf & Shore Law Group go to work for you. Call us at 203.745.3151 or email us at info@wolfandshorelaw.com.

Very Truly Yours,

Wolf & Shore Law Group

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *